The Windmills of Mykonos, early processing units, decisively contributed between the 17th and the 19th century to the economic prosperity of the island, which, being a necessary station for the passing sailboats, supplied them with rusk. After the 1st World War, through the progress of technology they lost their financial value and were finally marked as one of the most popular monuments of the Cyclades islands and, their picture as a trademark travelled all around the world. The windmills Kato Myloi are situated southwest of Mykonos Town – Chora, next to the sea, between scenic Alefkadra and the quarter of Niohori, and impress every visitor with their snow-white magnificence, built in a row, looking to the sea. Today, seven have been preserved out of ten (once there were more than twenty on the island), which existed here until the first decades of the 20th century and used to grind with the unstoppable power of the northern wind the local wheat.
Little Venice of Mykonos
Where the most western part of the town meets the sea is the area known as “Little Venice.” Here the buildings have been constructed right on the sea’s edge with their balconies overhanging the water. During the 16th and 17th century pirating was common and it is believed this area was used for the necessary quick loading and unloading of goods.
Petros, the Pelican of Mykonos
Petros the Pelican – An old celebrity of the town’s waterfront, “Petros” has been the official mascot of Mykonos for many years. Found after a storm in 1954 the pelican gave up its migrating to become a local resident. After more than thirty years of making the island his home, Petro died in 1986. The loss of such a personality was so deeply felt by both Myconian and tourist alike that a replacement was soon found and a tradition established. Nowadays two new pelicans live around the main town of Mykonos. One of them is also named Petros.